2019 has been a Martian year for me. I’m in a 1 personal year in numerology which connects to Aries-Mars, and my natal Mars has been activated all year- experiencing my Mars return, Saturn/Pluto/South Node opposing it, and the eclipses waking it up. Normally I hate sports and as a girly girl I can tell you that I’ve never liked it…but as a result of all these transits, I began watching European football (Soccer) because I found myself interested in it, and for a short while, enjoying it.
My Dad has always been a lifelong fan of European Football and since he’s been home for a year because of a bad accident, he’s been watching a lot more of it. I work from home, so I couldn’t really escape it, and when I had the chance to sit down and watch it, I found I was using it as a way to bond with him to try and connect to him…my Mars being in Cancer- sign of home and family.
I watched a full season of Football this year watching Juventus, Inter-Milan, Liverpool, & Champions League, & Europa League the closest. I was specifically following all of the Croatian stars due to my heritage. I was even reading sports news, and even participated in some online forums for some football clubs. I surprised myself at just how dedicated I was to a sport that up until this year, I hated.
Last week I made the official decision to stop watching European football. It was during that week that I experienced my Mars Return- the time when transiting Mars meets up with your natal Mars. Since that happened, I lost all interest in it, and realized just how toxic football was for me.
Why I Quit Watching Football
1. First of all, after I experienced my official Mars return last Saturday on June 8th, Croatia happened to play Wales for a Eurocup qualifying game, and Portugal won the League of Nations. I decided to go and comment on some Youtube videos that fans made analyzing the games. I found myself giving some very honest critiques only to have several people gang up on me and make sexist and degrading remarks about me and my thoughts. After that, I decided I had had enough, because this was an ongoing issue for me.
2. What I came to learn about European Football is that it’s extremely racist. I could see that the Croatian players were always the most under-paid and over-worked players on their teams. People from other European countries were always making racist comments about Croatians and other nationalities. Football media was incredibly biased and playing favourites to certain countries and players. This really triggered me because I could not understand why Croatia was so hated? So what if they came second at the 2018 FIFA World Cup? They have always been a competitive team in Europe with very strong individual players with achievements (and all this considering they are a tiny country). I came to learn that Croatia has its natal Moon at 3 degrees Scorpio- the sign and degree of the Moon’s fall, so no matter what, they are always going to be un-liked. I still did not like the demeaning hate speech online so I decided to step away from Youtube and the forums. As I mentioned, my natal Mars is in Cancer, so I get very triggered when someone says something negative about my heritage.
3. I also quit watching it because I found it to be very bi-polar. If a player had a good game he was a hero and if his next performance wasn’t that good he would be a zero. This idiotic behaviour from the fans was a huge turn off for me because no one is perfect and it made me wonder if these people treat their friends and family the same way? That you’re garbage unless you achieve something?
4. I also stopped watching European football because I found it to be a very evil and corrupt business. Every player has a price tag and they are completely disposable. There is no loyalty, no trust, and no respect. At the same time, the players are multi-millionaires who for the most part are not charitable. I’m especially critical of players who come from small or poor countries who do not help out their country. They’re kicking a ball around and getting millions for it. It’s a bit excessive, don’t you think?
5. The egos. The worship of players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi is absolutely sickening. So they kicked the ball in the net more than someone else. Why does that make them Gods? Have they cured a disease? Did they create world peace? Nope. I did notice that all of the most successful superstar players have wounded masculinity. Messi was under-developed as a boy and had to take human growth hormones, Ronaldo’s father was an alcoholic and died when he was a kid, Modric grew up extremely poor during the war in Croatia and his grandfather who helped raise him, was murdered in that same war. All these guys are trying to use the Martian activity of football to over-compensate for their complexes.
So when my Mars came home I realized just how toxic and degrading this sport is, for everyone involved- the fans, the players, the management etc. An important lesson for me that I learned during my Mars activity was that knowing how to conserve my energy and where to direct it, is extremely important for my health due to some bad aspects from my Mars. Watching European football for 1 year allowed me to experience the depth of my Mars that I had previously not known. With my Mars being in Cancer, it’s a very internalized energy that doesn’t always have an outlet for its expression, which is why physical activity is recommended. I can’t say that I experienced any positive Martian activity this year, apart from becoming more assertive. Football helped me to see what my triggers are and what I need to avoid.
It showed me that ethnicity is mentality, projection comes from rejection, everyone has a price, masculine energy is self-destructive, and egos are wounds. Interestingly enough, all of these are markers of my natal Mars. All of the reasons that I listed for choosing to quit watching European football are things that my Mars is guilty of suppressing and expressing. Forming a close relationship to Mars this year helped me to make peace with his unpleasant qualities.
Have you experienced your Mars Return? What sorts of lessons did you learn?